Shaunna Faye

Monday, May 02, 2011

Bad American?

I woke up this morning to the flood of tweets and Facebook posts about Bin Laden being killed. Tons of people celebrating and cheering about this horrible, horrible man finally being killed. "Hooray! He's dead!"

It all felt really wrong.

And this is where I confuse myself. I'm supposed to be happy that justice was served. And, I guess I am. He was responsible for killing thousands of Americans.

But then there is the human side of me that feels unsettled about hearing the words "Hooray! He's dead!" come out of anyone's mouth. No matter how horrible of a person he was.... Too rejoice in murder?

It just feels wrong that cheering in the street is because someone is no longer alive.

So, I'm a little confused as to how I should feel about this. Am I a bad American? I'm glad that the unknown of his whereabouts are no longer a threat, but am I glad that he is no longer breathing?

It's a mix of emotions.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 AM , Blogger Daniel D said...

I feel exactly the same way. While I do feel a sense of relief, that this is obviously better for the world - America specifically - I can't bring myself to really feel genuine happines about death, be it a good guy or bad buy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home