Shaunna Faye

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Oprah

Many, many months ago Chris and I watched an episode of Oprah where a man forgot to drop his son off at daycare one morning. The boy was stuck in his car seat in the hot car all day and died in the parking lot of the man's office.

Chris casually mentioned to me yesterday, "Remember that episode of Oprah we saw? Do you ever double check the back seat to make sure you dropped Martha off?"

My response: "Yes, daily."

I think that horrible story stuck with both of us. Sometimes I even check the back seat twice just to make doubly sure that Martha isn't there when I'm driving to work.

Chris asked if I thought it was possible that my mind could ever go into auto pilot like that man and I could forget that she was there. I said I could totally see that happening to someone, but not me. Why not? I have no idea. I mean, I'd like to think that I could never make a mistake like that, but one can never be 100% positive.

It breaks my heart to think about the guilt that the man feels having accidentally forgotten his little boy and caused his death.

Children just aren't supposed to die before their parents. There's an order to things. And when the order gets all screwed up and it's your fault, I mean, how would someone be able to handle that? So horrible.

2 Comments:

At 3:31 PM , Blogger Daniel D said...

There are a lot of things (things that happen as a result of a mistake, or things that just happen) that someone can get over. That is not one of those things. I haven't heard that story, and I have no idea what that guy's life is like now, but if that happened to me, it would destroy my life. The guilt I have would probably force me to LET it destroy my life. I cannot imagine allowing myself to so much as smile for the rest of my existence if that happened to me.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Lily Dawn said...

I seen an episode of the Doctors where a woman came on and talked about the same thing that happened to her- she switched schedules with her husband one day(i guess he usually took the baby in the morning) He loaded the baby in her car and then she went to work and a few hours later realized it when the daycare called, but it was too late... horrific. I just can't even imagine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home