Shaunna Faye

Monday, December 18, 2006

Solidify Your Identity

"We tend to become the decisions we make. The more we choose something, the more we become that something. We are all in the process of solidifying our identities by the decisions we make. With each decision we make, we pick up momentum in the direction of that decision." (Letters From a Skeptic by Gregory A. Boyd)

I was told today in an email these exact words:
"You are blinded by your idea of "who i am" or rather "who i was" and that isn't even "who i was" but "what i did."

If someone treats me badly consistently I'm going to think that that's who they are. You are your decisions. If you decide that you're going to take advantage of someone, if you decide that you are going to break someones trust and be dishonest, you become those decisions and those decisions become your identity over time.

Why do people talk and say that you are a certain way (your identity...your reputation)? Because you've made decisions to show that's who you've become.

Sure, we all make the occasional bad decision...the difference is realizing it was a bad decision and not doing it again.

I hung out with Casey tonight. We had porch swing talk. He said something about how things for him need to progress and grow and if it isn't doing that then something isn't right. Someone told me once that if you're not moving forward then you're moving backward. I'm not sure if that's entirely what Casey was trying to say, but that's what I got out of it.

Makes sense to me at least...

7 Comments:

At 5:01 AM , Blogger Jeffrey said...

"V" from "V for Vendetta":
"Evey, please. . .there is a face beneath this mask, but it's not me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it, or the bones beneath them."

Neo and the Oracle from Matrix: Reloaded:
Neo: What happens if I fail?
The Oracle: Then Zion will fall.

Neo: But if you already know, how can I make a choice?
The Oracle: Because you didn't come here to make a choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it.
"

Identity and choice, now those are two great topics for conversation.

 
At 6:28 AM , Blogger Johnny C. said...

Yeah, that quote from "Letters..." hit me too. Making the decision to exercise good character is painful, but it's that good kind of pain.

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger ginger said...

ooooooooh-v for vendetta...

good example, jeff.

excellent movie!

 
At 3:10 PM , Blogger Christina DeAnn said...

girl, seriously. we should get together and share. hahaha. no, i do agree with you. did you read jason's latest post? it reflects on this issue as well.

shoot. i understand exactly what you are saying my friend.

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Cameron Lawrence said...

i think you're right, shuanna. our decisions do define our identity over time. i remember a sermon kris gave about how our decisions make us one of two things: either we become more like heaven, or we become more like hell. the beautiful thing is that god has the power to transform and redeem. it's the forgiveness of jesus that does that, as you know. and i think it's worth mentioning that our own forgiveness has the power to change lives, too. forgiving others not only changes those whom we forgive, it changes us and our hearts toward them. easily said, right?

 
At 10:36 AM , Blogger daniel hammond said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger daniel hammond said...

hear, hear.
as time goes on, i notice more and more that my actions dont line up with my words. i've found myself saying things like, "this isn't who i really am," to people who see me do things that dont portray the image of me that i like people to have in their heads.
i'm working on that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home