Shaunna Faye

Monday, April 30, 2007

Octane's funny things and Feist makes me want to spoon.

Sitting at Octane last night whilst downloading music a guy sat down next to me at the bar. He basically was the sketchiest dude ever. He had some papers with him and a pencil. During the 5 minutes he was sitting there he looked around the place several times like he was looking for someone, acted like he was thinking really hard about the papers in front of him, spread out and then stacked up the papers 2 or 3 times, spun his pencil around on top of the stack of papers impatiently, and basically just fidgeted a whole lot while continually acting frustrated and like he had somewhere to be. All the while, the rest of us at the bar just tapped away on our laptops while sipping on whatever beverage we ordered all calm-like as normal Octane patrons should act. Dude was freaking me out. He eventually got up quickly and left. Thank God. I don't know how much longer I could have gone without turning around and getting a good look at him to make sure I never came in contact with him again.

This music that I speak of that I downloaded in the midst of being completely paranoid that some guy was gonna shoot up my favorite coffee shop was Feist's new album The Reminder.

This is seriously the best album I've heard since Bright Eye's I'm Wide Awake it's Morning. Sure, some of you don't exactly value my taste in music because of said Bright Eyes fandomship, but I promise you that if you listen to this record you'll fall in love with it.

It has the kind of songs that make you sit very still, close your eyes, and take in every single detail. Every short breath taken at the beginning of the chorus. Every exhale at the end of the song that almost sounds like a sigh and you pretend it is because it just makes the song that much more moving. It takes a lot for me to get excited about new music. The Reminder just makes me feel all sorts of sad, but the good kind of sad. The sad that makes you feel alive when lately all you've been feeling is like you're just going through the motions.

With lyrics like "What gives what helps the intuition? I know I'll know. I won't have to be shown the way home. And it's not about a boy…although although… they can lead you. Break or defeat you" how can you not relate? At least that's the feeling that I get.

One of my favorite songs so far (and it's difficult to pick just one) is How My Heart Behaves. I'll post the lyrics below, but you really need to hear the song. Actually, if you want….I'll make a copy of the CD for you. Or if you have an iPod just come on over to Octane tonight between 6:45 and 8:00 (I don't want to sit in Braves traffic) or to The Pickle later on and I'll put it on your iPod for you.

How My Heart Behaves

What grew
What grew
What grew and inside who
First so simple was the vow
Then the chorus sang about
Your shoulder
The mooring for me
Like water lost in the sea

The cold heart will burst
If mistrusted first
And a calm heart will break
When given a shake

I'm a stem now
Pushing the drought aside
Opening up
Fanning my yellow eye
On the ferry
That's making the waves wave
Illumination
This is how my heart behaves

The cold heart will burst
If mistrusted first
And a calm heart will break when given a shake

(How her heart behaves)
The rain rain making me cry
(How her heart behaves)
Then the wind comes
Fanning my yellow eye
(How her heart behaves)
The waves wave the waves wave
This is how my heart behaves

A cold heart will burst
If mistrusted first
And a calm heart will break
When given a shake
The cold heart will burst
If mistrusted first
And a calm heart will break
When given a shake

What grew
What grew
What grew and inside who

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home