Shaunna Faye

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Yes, family meetings really do exist.

Whilst House was on TV last night, my Dad sat in his recliner and scribbled away on a little notepad. Yes, he was preparing for our "Family Meeting" we were having after dinner. All 6 of us. That live in the house. All 6. He was literally jotting away for the entire 1 hour show. At one point I asked if he was writing a novel.

I texted my OMG, BFF Kelli that we were preparing ourselves for a family meeting. She responded with "Those really exist?!" Well, I suppose if you've ever been a Dorris, are now a Dorris, or married to a former Dorris, then they really do exist and I don't believe they've ever been a good thing.

You can pretty much guess, if you know anything about anything that's gone on with my family in the past several months, what topics were discussed in the meeting. And then there were some old school points which brought me straight back to being 16 years old. Really? I have to keep my room clean? I mean, I know this is your house, but does me having clothes on my floor really bug you that much? Will I get a raise in my allowance if I dust and vacuum every week? J/K. I never got an allowance. (I did, however, get money for good grades. If that were still the case, I'd be getting $0 right now.)

Since I was brought back to that teenager scenario of being "talked to" for not being tidy, I was also brought back to that same feeling I got way back then...rebellion. Dad tells you to pick up your clothes, you want to leave the house for 3 days. Dad tells you to unload the dishwasher, you stop eating at home. No one likes being told what to do. Power struggle?

I suppose I automatically gave up my adult-ness(?) when I moved back in with Mom and Dad, but I had at least hoped to save the tiny bit of dignity I had left.

I'll say one last thing...

When I was unemployed, I did all of the cleaning and laundry for me and Chris. I had the time. I wasn't doing anything else. There are 2 people in the house right now that are home all day, every day, not doing anything. So why are we still splitting everything evenly? I work 40 hours a week and go to school 2 days a week. Doesn't this seem a little off? Just sayin...

Oh, and I'm just going to give myself a pat on the back real quick. I found homes for and delivered 7 out of the 8 cats we needed to give away. Awesome? Oh yes, that's me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home