Shaunna Faye

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I will never lie to you.

A guy I used to know, Matt, had a shirt that said in big letters on the front, "I will never lie to you." I loved that shirt. And for him, it was the truth. He wasn't a liar. About anything.

I read this blog every now and then (http://blog.penelopetrunk.com) and came across an entry where she talks about therapy, growing up, and how her childhood was a secret on top of another secret. She says...

"So what I’m telling you here is that I’m scared of secrets. I’m more scared of keeping things a secret than I am of letting people know that I’m having trouble. People can’t believe how I’m willing to write about my life here. But what I can’t believe is how much better my life could have been if it had not been full of secrets.

So today, when I have a natural instinct to keep something a secret, I think to myself, “Why? Why don’t I want people to know?” Because if I am living an honest life, and my eyes are open, and I’m trying my hardest to be good and kind, then anything I’m doing is fine to tell people.

That’s why I can write about what I write about on this blog.

And when you think you cannot tell someone something about yourself, ask yourself, “Really, why not?
”"

Man, I don't think I could have said it better myself. For me, I didn't have a bad childhood (by far), but I did have a relationship filled with lies. His lies to me, in turn, created my lies to other people because I didn't want anyone to know how wrong things had gotten. For over 2 years. Some days I feel like it was tramatic, some days I feel like it was no big deal. I know it wasn't near as horrible as what some women deal with in relationships, but I'm not trying to belittle my experiences either.

Either way, I like what Penelope said. I am living an honest life, and my eyes are open, and I’m trying my hardest to be good and kind. Anything I’m doing is fine to tell people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home