Shaunna Faye

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Money Mirage

Chris and I were put through the ringer this weekend for a mirage of money. Let me give a quick back story… Chris interviewed for a job at an awesome company in Atlanta. We have a few friends that work there and they always talk about how much they love the company, how they’re always treated fair, and they actually miss not going into work when they’ve got a day off. How strange is that? Most people go to work every day wishing it was time for the weekend again. So, obviously this is a good company to work for.

So, Chris interviewed with the company – twice. We waited a good while for background checks to be completed and references to be called. Finally, he got an offer. They offered him a reasonable salary and the health insurance is OUTRAGEOUSLY GOOD. I’m talking – saving us thousands a year good. Chris went to turn in his 2 week notice to his current employer only to have his boss beg him to stay. He offered him a raise, but the number was too low to justify staying. Chris told his boss another number that would be the lowest amount he’d accept to get him to reconsider leaving. Chris and I went back and forth all weekend wondering if we were doing the right thing…sacrificing happiness for a hefty salary….only to be told this morning that they won’t be able to meet his salary requirement. The final salary they offered him was actually kind of insulting. Although we’re happy that Chris gets to have a more enjoyable job without having to take a pay cut, I’m now grieving for the money carrot that was dangled in front of me. Had I never been teased with the possibility of having an extra $700 (or so) extra a month, I wouldn’t be so bummed about the outcome. Do you know what you can do with that kind of money?!

So, Chris is starting his new job on the 22nd. He’ll be happy, and we’ll be in the same financial boat that we’ve always been in. I can’t complain. Rather, I shouldn’t complain, but I am a little bit. They say that money can’t buy happiness. It sure does relieve a lot of stress though. And less stress means I’m happier. So, doesn’t money kind of buy happiness?

The decision is made, so I’m dealing. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that Chris will be able to move up in the company, stay there a long time, and that they are able to give acceptable yearly raises. Until more money is being made by one of us, it’s just a fact of life that our debt will take a considerable amount of time to go away. Ugh.

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM , Blogger Dad said...

Sounds like his current employer helped make the decision by low-balling their counter offer. Well, looking at the bright side, with the new job he isn't taking a pay cut and he'll probably be happier. All things considered, sounds like a win to me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home