Shaunna Faye

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Last night, she said...

Since Chris and I aren't LOST fans, we went and got our taxes done last night. If it wasn't bad enough being told that we have to shell out $600 to the good ol' government (due 2 weeks before we have a baby - awesome), we went to Publix afterward to get subs for dinner (because they're cheap, and now we're broke), I was asked by the lady making my sandwich when I was due. I said "April." Her eyes got all kinds of buggin out of her head, she took another look at my belly and then she asked if I was having twins. Instead of jumping over the plexiglass and pulling her hair net right over her face in an attempt to suffocate the rudeness out of her, I laughed it off and just added it to list of things I wish hadn't been said to me that day.

In case you were wondering - we OWE money because of Obama's "Making Work Pay" tax credit. Apparently, because we're a married couple who both work and make a certain amount of money, we get screwed. If one of us didn't have a job, we'd be golden. Sorry we're not bums, Mr. President.

According to H&R Block Tax Lady, next year we'll be ok. I won't be working the whole year, plus we get money for Martha. She said we can expect around a $1000 or so refund.

I realized today how my wants are becoming less and less important as time passes. I would love to have a wedding band to go with my engagement ring. I would love to have a new TV for the bedroom. I would love to have a nice camera to take awesome pictures of Martha. I would love to be able to re-tile our shower because it's all kinds of ugly and 4 tiles are falling off. I would love to put hardwood or laminate floors down in the living room. The list goes on and on. But the reality is that we owe money to Home Depot for our new HVAC unit we put in earlier this year. We owe my parents lots and lots for covering out butts when we had to replace our sewage line on the day we moved into the house. And we owe a good bit to our BOA credit card. It will take years upon years to pay these things off. The luxury of a wedding ring, a flat screen tv, etc. will have to wait....probably forever.

4 Comments:

At 10:23 AM , Blogger kimberly dorris said...

Totally understand. We probably owe more than my life is worth for all of our baby making stuff and a new septic system in the front year. Daniel and I have decided to not stress about it and just pay what we can each month and enjoy our lives. I guess if we never went out or bought anything we could pay things off faster, but then we would be miserable and mad at each other all the time! Hang in there!

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger Dad said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger Dad said...

My little girl's all grown up, making the tough decisions, doing the responsible thing, and maybe starting to realize that elections do have tangible consequences. If you learn that lesson now, then you're way ahead of me. I didn't pay any attention to political stuff until I was at least 40.

On the financial side of things, I agree with Kimberly. Do what you can when you can, but don't let it make you crazy or miserable. You'll learn to find satisfaction and fulfillment in the smaller things... like a new pair of shoes instead of a new TV... you get the point.

Hang in there Sunshine, you have much for which to be thankful and much to take joy in.

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Daniel D said...

Maybe you should just come up with a handful of responses that you can pull out in any given situation...responses that make it awkward for the person asking the asinine questions, like: "It's a funny situation, actually...I'm pregnant with a litter of kittens", or "I'm actually not due for another 30 years. Do you watch LOST? If so, you'd understand".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home