Shaunna Faye

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I want to explain myself.

Ok, listen. I've been told recently that I need to work on my people skills. I told Chris (yes, my husband is the one that said this) that it's not that I don't have people skills, it's that I don't care if I make someone angry when I think that they're doing something wrong or inappropriate. I'm more honest than most people like, and that tends to offend. Also, I feel like my way of thought (regarding right and wrong) is a bit more black and white than most peoples.

Let me explain...

I don't feel that it's ok to ask for hand outs. If someone willingly wants to help you (without you asking them to) then that's awesome. I understand bad things happen sometimes and mostly it's out of your control, but that does not mean that you're entitled to ask someone else to give you their money to help out your unfortunate situation. Again, if they offer - cool, you just shouldn't ask for it.

If your job requires you to have a thing like a laptop or a car, you should take whatever precautions necessary to make sure that you have a back up plan in case something does happen to that laptop or car. (Have insurance that covers theft or a savings account to cover the cost of replacement or repair.)

Here's an idea that O'Brother has recently put into practice that I approve of...
Their van broke. They would like to continue touring, but need to fix or replace it. So, they're offering certain Cd's, t-shirts, etc. for certain amounts of monetary donations. THIS IS A GREAT IDEA! They're asking you to donate, but at least you're getting something for it. They didn't always practice this way of doing things, but I'm so glad they are now.

And my last point - this is where I feel like I'm going to be pissing people off...
It's always a person in a band that's asking for hand outs. When Lauren's car was stolen and she needed that car to get to work and school, did she set up a paypal account and ask for donations? No. When Amanda's car broke and she needed a couple hundred dollars to get it fixed, did she ask everyone to chip in so she could continue to search for a job? No. Her friends did, however, get together some funds to cover the cost. They did this all on their own, without her asking them to, out of the goodness of their hearts.

Yes, they needed their cars to continue on with their lives, but they didn't see themselves as being entitled to asking for a hand out. THIS is what I'm saying. What makes a person in a band more deserving than a person not in a band?

You get to pick your own career and lifestyle. Be prepared for your path. And don't get it in your head that you're any more deserving of a free lunch than anyone else. Humility. Responsibility. These are the words that come to mind.

Now everyone can be angry with me and say that I'm mean and have a cold heart.

(Note - Obviously this does not apply to tithing and legit charities.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home