Shaunna Faye

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Working for The Man

I was brought up surrounded by normal people working normal jobs. The kind where you get up every morning, go do your job, and then come home in the evening. Monday through Friday, you worked. That was just life.

It never occurred to me that at some point in my life I could chose to do things differently. I could have a kind of job where I made my own schedule, or even be a stay at home mom/wife. Ok, so the SAHM or SAHW thing isn't incredibly realistic for most because of the issue of money, but you get what I'm saying....I just never thought it to be an option. I don't recall either of my parents telling me that I could do such things. But I don't recall them telling me that going to an office M-F, 9-5 is the only way to do things either.

When I stumbled upon this realization that I could be free from the restraints of The Man, it was like my eyes were opened for the first time. Why hadn't I thought of this 5 years ago before I was married and had a baby? It would have been easier to get started in something like that back then. Now I have responsibilities and obligations to monetarily contribute every 2 weeks.

When I had my moment of clarity I immediately started thinking about what I could do that would bring in enough income to counteract what I would normally make working for The Man. Around that same time, I saw a video someone had done for a wedding of a girl I am acquainted with. It was the coolest looking 3 minute wedding video ever.

The conversation in my head:
I could make videos!
I don't have a camera.
I will get a camera and I will make videos.
I don't know how to edit or shoot. I've never done it before.
I will learn.

So, I got a camera and I'm learning. But I'm slowly realizing that I'm not very good at making videos. I know it will get better with time and experience, but at this point, I'm making lame home videos, at best.

Let me just go ahead and confess something. Doing video wasn't my first choice. Photography was. But do you know how many photographers I'm friends with? Like, a billion. You know what there needs to not be more of in Atlanta? Photographers.

So, here I am. Making bad videos. Really wishing I could make good photos. Thinking I might be stuck in this rat race.

2 Comments:

At 8:40 AM , Blogger Dad said...

It's the rare individual who can earn a living doing what they love to do and on their own terms. If you really want to know more and get better at photography, even if just as a hobby, you might consider taking some classes. Good luck in your quest for the unconventional lifestyle.

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

I was just talking with someone the other night about an interesting idea that anyone can become an "expert" at anything if they are willing to devote 10,000 hours to studying it or practicing it. Don't ever tell yourself that you're not "capable" of doing it... you are! You just need time to practice and time to learn and read up on becoming an expert videographer! You can do it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home