Shaunna Faye

Thursday, January 25, 2007

I saw the sign. And it opened up my eyes.

I was talking with a friend today about the fact that you can pretty much make anything into seeming like it’s a sign or a calling from God. I think it’s pretty ridiculous that people will take the smallest or biggest thing and turn it and twist it and make it into something that it isn’t. I’ve written before about how people often use key phrases when talking about God stuff and how it bothers me oh so much. I think this….making things into something they aren’t….bothers me more. It kind of makes me wonder what non-christians think when they hear about how Sally found a penny on the sidewalk and took it to mean that she was supposed to serve in the homeless ministry. Or about how Billy got caught in the rain the day that he had cheated on a test and he took it to mean that was God crying because he was so disappointed. Don’t get me wrong…I do believe God talks to us in weird ways. I’ve thought before that I’ve gotten some words from God in odd places, but I didn’t see these things often. It’s almost as though some people are reaching so far to get something…anything…from God that they will do the twist and make something up and force this false feeling on themselves like it’s real and from the Almighty upstairs. Any time this sort of stuff starts to be talked about I tend to have to leave the conversation before I accidentally yell out “Bullshit!”

Betty fell down and bruised her arm. The same arm that she hit her brother with yesterday. This must be a sign that she did wrong!

Maybe she should hit herself with that arm hard enough to knock some sense into her.

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM , Blogger Johnny C. said...

Maybe if you called "bullshit" on them they would think it was a sign from God. Probably not though.

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger Jeffrey said...

sweet post. very cool thoughts. you're right that ppl basically find what they're looking for when it comes to a "word" from God. There's some saying from somewhere that goes, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't...you're right."

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Erin Humphries said...

Or maybe you should look at it this way: God is always speaking to us, and you're not listening enough. People do contort things to fit their own agendas, yes. But we do all have our own private "language with God. Sometimes it's just better left to ourselves.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home