Shaunna Faye

Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm not stupid.

It's not a big deal....I promise. But at the time I felt like the biggest idiot in the world.

At dinner tonight my dad and brother were talking about finding Georgia (the country, not the state) on a map. Brent just mentioned that he wondered where it was so he looked it up. Then that got my Dad talking about all the other countries and where they are located. Boring. Yes. I promise we usually talk about more interesting things.

Then I made a HUGE mistake. I regretted saying it the moment it came out of my mouth. I told them that I pretty much could not point out any country other than the one I'm in on a map. Laughter ensued. Continuous, grueling, embarrassing laughter. Brent said something like "If you can't point out Russia you should be kicked off the planet."

Then, they couldn't just leave it alone. No. They had to start asking me questions. Quizzing me. Did I not just tell you that I didn't know? Do you really have to sit there and antagonize me now?

I eventually just got up and left the table.

I wished that my Mom had been in the room. She would have at least said something to take the attention off of me. She's cool like that.

Listen, I graduated high school with academic honors. I'm going to college. I have A's in the classes I'm taking right now. So how is it that I feel like a jackass?

Geography isn't my thing, ok? It never has been. It never will be. If for some strange reason I need to know where Brazil is I'll look it up on my iPhone. Give me 30 seconds. It's just not something that seemed all that important to me when I was retaining information over the course of my life, for the love of God.

All I'm saying is that the lack of knowledge I have for the position of EthiopiaPolandTurkeyPeru did not warrant the ridicule I got. At least I'll be the first person in my family to have a damn degree. Eat it.

3 Comments:

At 4:57 AM , Blogger Daniel D said...

I would have had to take a minute to find Ethopia, Poland, and Turkey, too.

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger Johnny C. said...

Well, technically since a lot of the states in U.S. are the size of European countries it should be considered quite a feat to know where most of the states are. I wouldn't worry about it.

Plus, I'm sure you know where Mexico is.

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Shaunna Faye said...

Mexico, Canada, Alaska, Cuba. I got those.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home