Shaunna Faye

Saturday, April 24, 2010

One Week

Martha will be one week old tomorrow. How crazy is that?! I mean, I have a kid! Insane.

Anyway, I'll make the labor story short and sweet. I really just want to document the experience so I can remember how horrible/awesome is was.

I woke up Sunday morning at 4:00 AM with my water breaking. I really wasn't sure if that's what had happened so I waited until 4:30 when the pain started to wake Chris up. Since it was still weird and I really wasn't 100% sure if I was in labor, Chris went back to sleep for a while and I managed to shave my legs and put make-up on. All this through HORRIBLE contractions. I mean, it was bad. Chris was freaking out a little bit. (Oh yeah, I called the hotline thingy and was told a doctor would call me back, but no one did.)

So, we threw our bag and car seat in the car and got to the hospital around 6:30 AM. They checked me and I was already 4 cm dilated and Martha was really low. So low that they could feel her head. Whaaaaaaaat?! Ha ha. No wonder I was in so much pain. After answering a billion questions, they got the anesthesiologist in there and I was feeling 100 billion times better within 10 minutes of him giving me the drugs. I think that was around 9:30 AM or so. Personally, I don't know how anyone could give birth without an epidural. Seriously.

I pushed and pushed and pushed and at 12:45 PM Martha popped out all gooey. I heard the first cry, Chris cut her cord, they put her up on my belly, and there she was. That part, which was the best part, happened so fast. I wish I could have savored that moment more.

All in all, it wasn't that horrible. I think if I'd gone to the hospital sooner and had the epidural sooner, I wouldn't have any complaints about labor. The pushing part was tiring, but not hard or painful.

My body is still recovering but I feel pretty good. Oh, and I'm on blood pressure medication right now, which I'm thinking I won't have to be on for long. Throughout the whole labor and afterward in the hospital they were checking my blood pressure allllllll the time. It stayed consistantly high-ish. So that's what's up with that right now. I think it'll be back to normal soon.

Ok, so that wasn't very short.



At 9:08 PM , Blogger A Lil Story said...

awwwwww, sweet!! I am so glad you had a good experience~ She is just adorable! I hope we can see her soon!

At 5:30 PM , Blogger David & Tami Hicks said...

Shaw-nay! Congratulations...she is so beautiful and I know you will be an amazing mother! Can't wait to have our little girl here...5 months seems forever away! But glad to hear your labor went well.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home