Shaunna Faye

Monday, December 13, 2010

You're never too busy to respond to a text message.

Whether it be immediately or an hour later, you're never too busy to return a text message. I challenge anyone to prove to me that they cannot possibly find 30 free seconds in their day to click a button, type a sentence, and hit "send."

In the case of The Person That Needs Your Response vs. The Person That Does Not Respond, the Plaintiff wins. Judgment is awarded in the amount of $me thinking you're a bad friend. Case closed and sent to archives.

Let's be honest. There's a lot of selfishness in someone that thinks they're too busy to give away a minute of their time. Out of the 1440 minutes in the day, you should be ok with giving at least one of those to another person. No matter if you have 2 kids, a spouse, a job and homework. .0694% of your day IS available, I promise you, to spend on someone else. Especially if you've already taken the time to read the text message. At that point, you've simply just decided to not respond. And THAT, my bad friend, is not being too busy.

7 Comments:

At 1:32 PM , Blogger Daniel D said...

Upon reading this, I immediately checked my phone to see if I had a text from you that had gone previously unnoticed. I let out a sigh of relief when I did not.

 
At 5:05 AM , Blogger Shaunna Faye said...

Ha ha. No, you're good at returning texts. And it wasn't just one text gone unanswered. It was two. With a specific question. And then I got the "I've been really busy" excuse.

 
At 6:05 AM , Blogger Heather Mayberry said...

i too just breathed a sigh of relief. not that i text on a regular basis, with anyone. i have my texts blocked. but we did just have the updated information email a few days ago. i hate the "i've been really busy" excuse too. it sucks. nobody is that busy. i agree. my life is crazy as all get out but a text? come on.

 
At 7:37 AM , Blogger Dad said...

I have mixed feelings about this one. Sure, it doesn't take much time to respond, whether it's a text message, a voice mail, or whatever. But on the other hand, what gives us the right to impose our wishes on someone else's time. I know you're talking about friend-to-friend, but it's not much different than the dozens of telephone calls I get every day from "NO NAME" which go ignored. If we did absolutely everything the world expected of us, there truly would not be enough hours in the day. At some point we have to protect our sanity by picking & choosing and prioritizing our time.

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Shaunna Faye said...

All I needed was a mailing address! And I texted because that would give them the option to text back at their leisure, as to not stress anybody out by having to give me an answer right away. Two texts (in two days - one each day) go ignored, and then even days later I get the "I'm really busy" excuse, I mean, come on! All they had to do was type an address and hit the send button. I wasn't looking for a lengthy, time consuming response.

Maybe sending me his address wasn't a priority to him, but like I said...it would have taken SECONDS to respond.

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Daniel D said...

Oh, Dad and your devil's advocate role!

That's why we have things like voicemail and text messaging. When those NO NUMBER calls come in, you are right to not answer them. If they are truly important, they will leave you a voicemail. At that point you can decide if it's important.

If someone is asking for an address, there's obviously a reason for it, meaning it's probably important enough to decide to take the few seconds to respond. Friends make time (even if it's a few seconds) for each other.

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Dad said...

Oh, Daniel. Was my devil's advocate role that obvious? I guess I need to work on my subtlety.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home