Shaunna Faye

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Troy Davis

There has been a lot of talk about Troy Davis. I will admit...I didn't know anything about this case until a few days ago. And still, I haven't read too much about it. I've seen all the protests and tweets and status updates. I heard on the radio this morning a quick 60 second story about what happened in his case and appeals.

I wasn't involved in the trial, so I can't say whether or not this man was guilty of killing Mark MacPhail. None of us really can.

Guilty or not, he didn't deserve to be put to death. I don't believe in "eye for an eye."

Some of his last words on this earth were proclaiming his innocence. Maybe he was lying. Maybe he wasn't. Either way, he should be alive today.

It's sad that we think we are responsible for deciding if someone should live or die, whether it be from a murder by gun or a murder by lethal injection.

Mark MacPhail's widow said after the execution, "I will grieve for the Davis family because now they're going to understand our pain and our hurt."

It's not ok that another family has to endure that pain and hurt.

3 Comments:

At 8:12 PM , Blogger Dad said...

I'm sure this comes as no surprise, but I respectfully disagree. Hypothetically, suppose a bad guy breaks into your house and murders Martha before your very eyes, then you have an opportunity to kill the bad guy. Do you not kill the bad guy because that would be an eye for an eye? If you react by killing the bad guy, did you not just make a decision that he/she did not deserve to live? So, what's the difference if you kill him on the spot or the state kills him 20 years later?

 
At 4:46 AM , Blogger Shaunna Faye said...

Sure, I would kill the bad guy on the spot. It would be a natural reaction to just seeing my child be murdered. But I feel like there's a big difference in that circumstance and one that would allow time to pass and reflection to be had. If the bad guy killed Martha and then got away, only to be caught later on, put in jail, and put on death row...I don't believe that I would want him executed. Of course I would be devestated for my loss, but two wrongs don't make a right. Everyone talks about JUSTICE. I don't think that justice would be to take another life. Isn't killing wrong no matter the circumstance?

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger Shaunna Faye said...

Edit- killing is wrong no matter the circumstance unless it's in self defense. Make no mistake... If I know this person is about to kill me or someone else in front of me, I'll kill them first. But that should be a given.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home