Shaunna Faye

Thursday, February 22, 2007

And all I saw was happiness.

I wrote this a month ago and had it saved as a draft and just now realized that I never actually posted it. Since it's been a little while I guess I'll post it...

"Kindness is more than deeds. It is an attitude, an expression, a look, a touch. It is anything that lifts another person." ~ C. Neil Strait

I've been asked and sometime wondered myself why I still love some people that have hurt me. Most would have walked away and washed their hands of the person(s). Admitedly, I have done that with some. But with others I've stuck around. I've formed friendships. I've loved when I didn't feel like they deserved my love. I've forgiven when I don't think they deserved my forgiveness. And I've been kind when I've felt like being spitful. No no....not with everyone....I'm at fault for some that I've walked away from because the hurt was just too great.

When deep down inside my vengeful nature wants me to wish failure upon them I have friends like Christina that remind me of what my prayer for them should be. I prayed that prayer when I was on a walk on Sunday. It felt good.

Tonight at girl's night Christina told us about how a little while ago one of her friends told her that she wanted to go to God but she needed to get her life straightened out first. Christina told her that all you have to do is believe. He wants you as you are. You don't have to "fix" yourself first. Christina had the privaledge of baptising her friend over the weekend. When she told us that tonight I could see the emotion in her face...in her eyes. To baptise someone that you've helped come to God along the way....wow....I can't even imagine what an amazing feeling that was for her. I hope someday I get to experience something even half as powerful as that.

After hearing of Lacie's brother and Christina's brother and so many things lately that are basically miracles...completely out of the blue, unexpected things...it's really been restoring my faith in what kind of power He posseses.

And frankly, it's kind of stunning...and altogether terrifying.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM , Blogger Mayberry Family said...

ONe thing that struck me about this is your question of why you don't turn away from those who have wronged you. The answer is that God commands us to love our enemies. Your friend is right that you need to pray for them. We are supposed to be salt and light to the world. If we turn away from those who hurt us we are not showing God's love.

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger Mayberry Family said...

Just wanted to tell you, I was telling Phillip about this post and how I responded. That prompted a sermon on how we should love our enemies taken from Jesus' Sermon on the Mound (Luke 6:26-36). Pretty cool. Thought I would tell you.

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I was diagnosed very suddenly in May with Kidney Cancer and I can say with all my heart that because I had developed such a close personal relationship this year with God - it made everything so much easier. I had felt a lot of what you describe - childhood physical and metal abuse had caused me to never feel loved enough, to keep score, to always be searching for something. But when I accepted God and His love for me - it all changed. I felt a peace overwhelm me and changes happened. It's an inner things that then comes out in the joy I feel, the love for others, letting things roll off me, not feeling a loss anymore. My surgery went well and I felt held in His arms the entire time. I let go and accepted the help of my friends and family without frustration - understanding that it made them feel good because they wanted to help and it was ok. So now - instead of being angry when people hurt me and frustrated when someone does something dumb - I ask God to help me love them as He loves me - because He never leaves me - ever. You're in my prayers...Jennifer jennsthreegraces@blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home